The house
creaked loudly as the storm winds battered it. I always imagined that it was
like being on one of my father’s ships as they made their way through the China
Sea during a typhoon. He had been a jute importer, Gerald Bracknell & Co.,
back in the days when the high masted vessels plied the oceans of the world
seeking produce to turn into riches for themselves.
‘Windwearie’
had been built from some of this wealth before I was born. My heavily pregnant
mother’s first sight of the house was three months after the builders had left.
Her reaction had been a sharp intake of breath which my father had taken as
awe, but in fact, as she confided to me after I had attained my teenage years,
was a fierce feeling of misgiving.
After my
birth I was handed over to a nanny/ housekeeper. Mrs Berkinshaw was a sullen,
odious woman who although purporting to having had children, displayed none of
the maternal, loving demeanour one would expect. When I was ill she dosed me
with castor oil, promising that it was the only way to fight off the infection…
how I hated her!
Now, I was
mistress of the house, but due to my advanced years and infirmity, had to rule
from my bed chamber.
The door to
my bedroom creaked open and in waddled, dear old Dawes, a butler to the family for
many years. He was old now but had been a spruce young man when he arrived. I
remember that dapper man as if it was yesterday, but there had been many
yesterdays since and the years had not been kind to him. Oh, old age, it is a
real leveller.
“Your supper, Ms. Mathilda,” said Dawes, laying a
tray, upon which sat two pieces of lightly buttered toast and a mug of cocoa,
down in front of me.
“Thank you
Dawes,” I said wearily. “It sounds as if it is going to be a wild night.”
“Yes madam,
they say that the foul weather the Americas have been experiencing has crossed
the ocean to give us a taste.”
“Oh dear, I
suppose we will just have to bear the brunt.”
“Goodnight,
madam. Sleep well.”
After Dawes
had shut my bedroom door and descended the stairs to his apartment, I realised
that no sleep would visit my bed that night. What with the ferocity of the wind
and its effect on the fabric of the house, I was to have a perfect background
for my visitors.
It was one
year after my poor, dear mother had passed away that a true black, gloom
descended on ‘Windwearie’. The house had been in mourning for the customary
year and my father had just returned to his transactions in and around the
China Sea. He may still have been under the crushing depression left by
mother’s sudden demise, for he was careless in his dealings and fell foul of
one, Akhabir Khan, an Asian businessman. Khan was purported to have connections
with the Purple Kris, an evil group made up of mercenaries, turncoats and
sorcerers. He accused my father of swindling him out of many thousands of
pounds and threatened him with repercussions if the debt was not honoured. My
father reported Khan to the authorities and the businessman was hauled off to
prison. The man was ultimately freed by bribing the prison officials, but now
my father had a powerful enemy.
Several
weeks after the unpleasant incident a large packing box arrived at
‘Windwearie’, it was addressed to my father, but in his absence, Mrs Berkinshaw
was authorised to open it. As the packaging fell away it revealed an ornate
wooden box roughly having the dimensions of a good sized coffin. Dragons and
other fantastic creatures were carved into its lid and sides, their eyes were
inlayed with precious stones. Brass metal straps encompassed it and ran to a
large metal lock, which was securely locked. Mrs Berkinshaw was furious and
stamped her feet. “Whoever would think of sending a locked box without a key?”
she had shouted angrily before ordering two of the servants to carry it down
into the basement where various tools were kept.
It was not
until late the following evening that the odious housekeeper turned her
attention again to the box. This time she announced to the servants and kitchen
staff that she would not be thwarted. Various drills and cutting equipment had
been laid out ready for the assault on the casket.
I remember
it was another stormy night, with lightning and rolling thunder claps which
shook ‘Windwearie to its core. I had been sent to bed to say my prayers and prepare
for sleep, but had I known what was to transpire I would have prayed longer and
harder for deliverance.
I could make
out the sound of hammering and sawing coming from the bowels of the house. It
echoed up the stairwell as I lay awake hoping that it would finish and I could
get some peace to sleep. All at once there was an almighty crash from the
heavens which coincided with a scream of terror. The following silence was truly
deafening and I lay petrified with fear, hiding beneath my bedclothes.
All at once
I felt a tangible chill enter the room; it was as if a north wind was breathing
its icy breath over everything. I threw back the bedclothes and groped for my
overgown which was fur lined, as I pulled it on I could see my breath in the
air, the temperature was that low. A gloom had spread itself about the room
hanging below the ceiling and swirling about the frieze high up in the room. As
it swirled I could imagine an evil looking face that dissipated and reformed
over and over. With a scream I ran from the room and down the stairs…right into
the arms of Mrs Berkinshaw.”Olivia,” she had grunted as she staggered from the
impact of my retreat. “What are you doing down here?”
I could see
in her face that she had had a shock and I wondered what had been terrifying
enough to cause this woman fear. “What did you find within the box?” I asked
tentatively. “Was it treasure?”
“No…”stuttered
the woman. “just some stinking bits of cloth, now get back to your bed, this
instant!”
Some days
later I learnt from a thoroughly frightened young valet who had been present at
the opening of the box, that rather than just foul smelling, soiled material,
it had looked as if a body wrapped in cerements had been lying within the
casket, but that upon being exposed to the air the form had collapsed leaving
just its wrappings and the pungent odour of rotting flesh. “We just slammed the
box closed and ran out of the basement,” explained the young man. “But, it felt
as if something was following us as we made our escape.”
For the
following weeks before my father’s return the house was not a quiet one. Mrs
Berkinshaw blamed the mice, the wind and the settlement of the house’s timbers,
in fact anything than admit that an evil presence now occupied ‘Windwearie’ and
was bent on driving us out.
Each night I
demanded that a candle burnt by my bedside as in the dark all manner of things
could be heard creeping, scuttling and dripping onto my floor. Sometimes the
smells that permeated were a mixture of sour, spicy and downright revolting. I
knew decisively that something had escaped from the wooden box and it was not
of this world. We were a beleaguered house held in thrall by something
powerfully evil.
My father
arrived home some months later in time for my seventeenth birthday and knew
right away that all was not as it should be. He called for Mrs Berkinshaw to
come to his study and after closing the door, demanded an explanation from the
woman.
She
attempted to blame the servants for opening the package and ultimately the
casket, but father explained that it was she who had been left in charge and so
it was her responsibility. Father realised that his adversary, Akhabir Khan,
was the root of the trouble and although conscious of the man’s infamy, equally
knew that if his housekeeper had not opened the accursed item, possibly, the
trouble could have been handled more prudently.
That night
Father went out and did not come home until the small hours arriving with a
cart, out of the back of which, he and one of the servants carried four bulky,
blanket-covered items into the house.
Strangely,
that night, the house was silent and the presence that seemed to haunt the
house was absent. The atmosphere felt warmer and I noticed some of the servants
actually smiling! What had Father done and what were these objects that he had
brought in?
I crept
downstairs as quietly as I could and on the bottom flight of stairs I peeked
through the banister rails down into the great hall of Windwearie. Father had
inscribed a large five pointed star on the flagstones and he stood in the
middle of the strange design, the blanketed forms that Father and one of the
servants had carried in, lay at four of the five points.
“I command
you to appear, djinn!” shouted my Father, into what seemed the empty air.”I
command you in the name of Falgassa, head djinn of your sect!”
Suddenly a
strange greenish light began to materialise in the air, above Father’s head. It
strengthened as I watched and took on the shape of a tall flame, continuously
flickering. “You summoned me infidel!” a voice from within the flame called
loudly.
“I have
fulfilled your requirements, spirit, now leave my house and never return!”
The flame
lowered until it hung above one of the blanketed shapes and then it stretched
out and ignited the blanket covering. As it turned to ash, I saw to my horror
that it was a corpse that was exposed. The eyes were missing and the mouth hung
open.
“Where is
the fifth, infidel?” the spirit screamed. “You have not completed the ritual!”
“I am
awaiting the arrival of the fifth,” my Father said turning towards the end of
the hall as the front door opened and let in some sort of wolf. It was carrying
a bundle in its teeth and as it moved into the light, seemed bewildered.
“My
familiar, Grydak has provided the remaining piece of this cosmic jigsaw!” said
Father as he called the wolf towards him. The animal trotted up to him and
gently laid the bundle down on the previously, empty fifth point.
“I go,”
screamed the djinn. “But, be warned if you leave, but a chink in your armour, I
will return…and I will not be alone!” Suddenly, there was a noise like a
rushing wind and the flame disappeared.
How I
managed to get back to my bed undetected, I will never know. My legs felt like
rubber and the scene that I had witnessed seemed to be burnt into my brain.
Pulling the sheets over my head, I shivered in the darkness till merciful sleep
took me and gave me a welcome oblivion, until I was awakened by Mrs Birkenshaw.
“Breakfast
is ready, please make your way down to dining room,” she said in a sepulchral
voice.
As I
descended the stairs I wondered if there would be any trace of last night’s
happenings, but I was relieved to see that the great hall’s floor was devoid of
anything save some small rugs. I could see no sign of any of the blanketed
corpses or of the inscribed star. There were, though, a pile of parcels wrapped
up in silver and gold foil. It was my birthday and Father had brought my
presents with him when he had returned home. He descended the stairs from his
bedroom and bade me begin discovering what he had bought for me.
As I opened
the boxes and found beautiful clothes and jewellery, Father watched on with a
strange look on his face.
Eventually,
after I had opened all the gifts and had given Father a hug and kiss, I asked
him why he was not happier than he was, I mean, it was my birthday.
“Go and have
your breakfast,” he said. “I will explain when I have completed my toilette.”
“You are to
stay with your cousin Agatha, Mathilda,” my Father announced when he had joined
me at the dining table, looking as smart as ever, not a trace of the sleepless
night he must have had.
I looked up
from my porridge and asked why I had to go.
“The
builders are coming to make a few alterations to Windwearie. It will be dusty
and dirty for a week or two, so you would be better at Agatha’s house. You can
take some of your presents to show her.”
Now my
cousin Agatha is the most vacuous and selfish person I had ever met and two
weeks in her company would seem like two years. “Must I go Father; I would
rather stay with you, here?”I groaned.
So began an
interminable period in which I had to grit my teeth to stop saying anything
untoward and keep my arms by my sides to avoid walloping my dear, sweet cousin. If she thought
before she spoke life would have been much better.
But, as time
will, time passed and soon I was bidding Agatha and her family goodbye, on my
way back to Windwearie. Was I happy to see the old house appearing in the
distance? I imagined my arrival, seeing Father again and being able to sleep in
my own bedroom. Even the prospect of Mrs Birkinshaw didn’t deter my good feeling.
Later that
day as I went into the lounge to bid Father, goodnight, I noticed that an area
of the wall had been replastered. The surface was darker than the surrounding
walls as it still had to dry.
“Did you get
all the work done satisfactorily, Father,” I asked, as I approached where he
was sitting.
He looked up
from the book he was reading and saw me looking at the drying piece of wall.
“Yes, it has been done. I suspected dry rot in the woodwork. It always helps to
‘nip it in the bud’ when you discover it,” he said with a little laugh.
The night,
as normal was stormy. Windwearie had been well named, as the area seemed to
attract gales and stormy conditions. The old house was used to bracing itself
against inclement weather.
As I
snuggled deep down under the sheets trying to deaden the wind’s shriek, I
realised that I hadn’t blown out my candle, so pulling the covers down, I leant
over and extinguished the flame with a puff of my breath.
I thought
that there had to be another candle alight in the room for although I had put
out my bedside candle, the room was still weakly illuminated. Looking over to
the far corner of my room, I was shocked to see a small glowing ember hovering
in the air, getting brighter and brighter. As I watched it began to fashion
itself into a figure – that of a small boy.
Nearly out
of my mind, I shrieked again and again as the boy became clearer and finally I
jumped out of bed and made for the door to my bedroom. I threw it open and
there stood Mrs Birkinshaw, a look of fury on her face.
“Have a
nightmare?” she said in a mocking tone. “Get back to bed this instant!” she
hissed as she pushed me back into the room and slammed the door in my face.
I began to
scream again and pull at the door handle, but the housekeeper had tight hold on
the handle on the other side of the door and the door refused to budge.
Suddenly, I
heard my father’s voice asking Mrs Birkinshaw what all the screaming was about.
I pounded on the door and screamed to be let out. All at once the door was
wrenched open and I rushed out and into my father’s arms.
“What is the
meaning of this, Mrs Birkinshaw?” I heard my father ask quietly, although I
knew that from past experience, he was keeping his anger under control – for
now.
“She just
had a b-b-bad dream, sir,” stuttered the housekeeper. “You can’t afford to
mollycoddle her or she will never learn.”
“Learn what,
exactly?” my father’s anger was rising.”She is still, only a child!”
”Spoil the
child…” Mrs Birkinshaw began to say, but was cut off by my Father.
“Get to your
room, Mrs Birkinshaw, pack your things and get out of this house – now!”
“But, sir…!”
“Go…now.”
The
housekeeper glared at me balefully then spun on her heel and marched off to her
room, I never saw her again.
When I
returned to my bedroom with Father, I could see that the room was empty, but
there was a palatable chill about it and I quickly got into bed
Father asked
if I would be alright now and lit a candle by my bed.
“To give you
some comfort, my dear. Good night,” he whispered, before shutting my bedroom
door.
I glanced
round the room to convince myself that I indeed was alone then pulled the
covers up and over my head.
It was about
five minutes later when I heard a scuffle from the far wall of the bedroom.
“Matilda…” a
tiny voice called out and I shivered with fright.
“Matilda…please,
speak to me. I won’t harm you, I promise.”
I gritted my
teeth and slowly lowered the blanket. For a few seconds I couldn’t see
anything, then the figure of the child began to reappear. I made to run to the
door again, but the voice spoke again. “Please, please, don’t run away.”
I sat back
in the bed and witnessed a little boy looking as solid as you or I, suddenly
appear.
“I am sorry
to scare you, Matilda, but I must speak to you. Are you willing to listen to
me?” he said sadly.
It
transpired that the boy’s name was Samuel and he was four years old. He had
been bought from an orphanage and strangled by two men. One had looked very
smart, while the other looked dirty and unkempt. The young boy’s spirit watched
from above his body as it had been hidden in an old warehouse; then, two days
ago when it had been transported, covered in a blanket to an area near
Windwearie where it was left. Samuel saw that the body lay there for quite some
time until a dog or some animal carried it into the house.
“My spirit
cannot rest, Matilda,” said Samuel. “for my remains have been used in a magical
ceremony which binds me to the earth.”
Matilda
remembered what she had seen from the stairs when she had witnessed her father
standing in the hall with the large star inscribed on the floor. Samuel’s body
had been the small bundle that had been brought in last. It had been a magical
ceremony, she thought.
“What can I
do to help?” she asked the spirit. “Is there anything I can do?”
In two weeks
time, the great Festival of Baroc would take place, which signalled the
beginning of a period named the ‘Days of Unrest’, the djinn would return to
Windwearie to check for loopholes that would let it take occupancy again,
Samuel explained to Mathilda.
“We have to
do something that will break the circle of power that was set up during the
ceremony, Samuel whispered.
“But, that
will let it take over the house again and make it uninhabitable,” Mathilda
hissed.
“Not if you
do what I tell you,” Samuel said. “Do you really wish to leave here?”
The next
day, Gerald Bracknell left for London. He called for Matilda and when she came
downstairs, he told her that he was to be away for a few days, but upon his
return, she would be going back to stay with cousin Agatha for two weeks. From
what Samuel had told her, the period of her absence would coincide with the
Festival of Baroc. No wonder Father wants me out of the way, thought Matilda.
That night,
Matilda made her way into her father’s study. Mrs Potts the cook was acting as
housekeeper until a replacement could be found for Mrs Birkinshaw. The cook
loved her ‘after supper’ tipple which rendered her unconscious very quickly, so
Matilda knew that no one would notice her presence in this part of the house.
Closing the door of the study quietly, Matilda crept over to her father’s desk
and checked the newly plastered portion of wall, behind it. Samuel had told her
that his remains had been placed in the wall as part of the occult protection
for the house.
Picking up a
heavy ruler from the desktop, Matilda began to strike the wall until the
plaster cracked open revealing a large hole. The smell issuing from within made
Mathilda choke and she covered her nose with her hand. Carefully, feeling
inside the hole she located a soft heap of cloth, it was the boy’s corpse.
A gibbous
moon hung over the garden of Windwearie as Mathilda carried Samuel’s body to a
spot beyond the large greenhouse. The soil was dry and light there so she had
no problem digging a hole and burying her sad, little bundle.
Next, she
went and found Mrs Potts and reported that the new plastering in her father’s
study had collapsed and that the plasterer would have to return the next day to
repair the damage. “If it is done right away Father will never notice,”
Mathilda explained to the cook.
Upon
returning from London five days later, Gerald Bracknell went straight to his
study and Mathilda held her breath after the door closed. Her Father had
brought back a lot of documents which required his attention immediately, so
did not notice anything untoward. Even so, Mathilda had had one of the servants
hang a large picture over the newly plastered wall to make doubly sure.
Upon
arriving at her cousin’s Agatha’s, Mathilda was pleasantly surprised by being
told that her cousin had been confined to bed with a slight fever. Mathilda was
forbidden to visit her ailing cousin for fear of contracting any sickness and
thus passed her days in trivial pursuits like walking and riding sometimes
alone or with her uncle and aunt.
A week later
Mathilda was called to her uncle’s drawing room. When she entered she could see
that both her aunt and uncle were upset and upon being made to sit, Mathilda
was told that there had been a terrible accident at Windwearie and that
tragically her father had been killed.
Fighting
back the tears, Mathilda demanded to know what had happened.
“When the
police arrived at the request of Mrs Potts, they had discovered two bodies
lying dead in the hall,” explained Mathilda’s uncle. “The second body was that
of a business rival of your father’s, one Akhabir Khan.”
I had no
allusions about what had killed them, for by removing Samuel’s corpse, I had
allowed the djinn to return and take possession of Windwearie. Upon returning
home I had returned Samuel’s remains to the wall, thus returning the spiritual
protection to the house and ousting the djinn.
I felt
deeply shocked by Father’s death, but I felt that as he had dabbled in black
magic and had been instrumental in Samuel’s death, it had been a just outcome.
Father had
left a fortune in his will to me and I had become mistress of Windwearie.
The wind and
rained battered my bedroom window as I returned mentally to the present. I
sipped my tea and then turning down the light till I could just about make out
the furniture in my bedroom, I called quietly, “You can come out now!”
Samuel’s
spirit was the first to appear. He had never aged and still had the appearance
of a four year old, but with the intellect of a person much older. “Good
evening, Ms. Matilda,” he whispered.
The other
four spirits appeared in different areas of the room; with their remains
secreted in various parts of the house, they were earthbound until a discovery
was made of their earthly bodies and subsequently buried in holy land.
But for now
they were my constant companions, I never learnt their names but their loyalty
to me was absolute. If Windwearie was engulfed in a night storm, they all
appeared to allay my fears and to ensure I was not alone until I fell asleep.
What more could I ask for?
……………………………………………………………….+……………………………………………………………………………..
11/01/18
Cairniehill
Arbroath
No comments:
Post a Comment